The Ministry of Prayer (Matt 26:36-46)
Summary: Prayer should be the first step in anything we do both individually and collectively. It enables us to seek Godís direction and move forward with his blessing in our efforts to serve him.
Open (5 min)
1. What is your earliest memory of praying?
Dig (20-25 minutes) (Matt 26:36-46, see also Luke 22:39ff)
2. Why did Jesus take his disciples with him to pray when this was such an intense, personal moment with God?
3. How did Jesus face the temple guard when they came to arrest him?
4. Why didnít the disciples have the same courage Jesus did? Did their prayers or lack of it have something to do with this?
5. How important was prayer in Jesus ministry? (see Lk 3:21; 5:16; 6:12; 9:28; 11:1; 22:32 and 23:46)
6. Take a look at the passage on the back side of this outline. Describe the place of prayer in the early church.
Apply (20-25 minutes)
7. What typically motivates you to pray? Reading of scripture? A tragedy? When things are going well in life? When you need direction?
8. Do you ever invite the elders to come and pray for you? Why or why not?
9. What are some ways you can promote the growth of a consistent prayer life in you? In your family? In others? In the church?
10. Discuss some ideas for an organized prayer ministry in the church. Please feel free to share them with the preacher and the elders
11. What do you think could happen if we had an organized prayer ministry?
Read Proverbs 19:21 and pray concerning this passage
Donít forget to pray over the empty chair, that God would send someone to fill it