Title: Pay Attention
Purpose: To Motivate the Christians to maintain their confession of Faith
- 1. Pay Attention! How many times have we heard that in our lives, growing up
- 2. Text: Heb. 2:1-4
-We must pay closer attention to what we have heard! Why? Dangers:
I. Because of the Danger of Dullness to Godís Final Word
- A. Jesus was Godís final superior word?
- B. Did you pay attention? Then what are you doing about it?
- 1. What is the obvious implication of chapter one? -- PAY ATTENTION!!
- 2. Text says how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation!
- a. It is not talking about rejection, but about negligence
- c. What message are we sending God when we neglect our salvation?
- -We donít consider it so great
- -Other things are more important
- d. John 12:44-50 - Jesusí words will judge us
- -If his words will judge us, what should you do?
- -PAY ATTENTION!!!
- C. Air Force Tech Manuals (They were called Tech "Orders")
- 1. They had warnings sprinkled throught them
- 2. Some said "Caution, contact with voltage will cause injury our death"
- 3. One had 15,000 Volts! Warning read "contact WILL CAUSE DEATH"
- 4. We were intructed to pay attention (They were called Tech-Orders)
- D. If you sign a $100,000 contract, you read the fine print or get a lawyer.
- 1. Why? You have a lot riding on it
- 2. You have a lot riding on this contract, the Bible
- 3. Worried about small print? Then get a large print Bible
- 4. God spells out what you need to do, SO PAY ATTENTION!!!
II. Danger of Drifing Away
- A. If you are not really paying close attention, you might easily stray, deviate, and wander
- B. Will paying attention help keep you from straying away?
- 1. You can hear but not really pay attention
- a. This letter begins with things we probably already know, Jesus is superior
- b. Are you paying attention?
- c. If all you get out of it is that Jesus is Godís final word, you havenít listened
- 2. These Jewish Christians had stopped paying attention, now look at them:
- a. They began to get hard hearts (3:12), in one ear out the other,
- b. They became dull of hearing (5:11)
- c. They stopped growing and maturing (5:12-14)
- d. They were forsaking the assembly (10:25)
- e. One things leads to another, from a hard heart to forsaking God
- 3. Readers of James were in the same boat, they stopped paying attention
- a. Faith without works is dead (not talking about Salvation experience, but about Christian living)
- b. They were doubting God in trials
- c. Showing partiality to social elite in their assemblies
- d. Gossiping and speaking evil against their brothers
- e. Puffed up with Pride
- f. Leaving God out of their plans and trying to get ahead in the world
- g. Ceased praying with and for each other
- h. Began to forget that Jesus can come at any moment
- C. If you donít pay attention you will forget what you are about
- 1. I was visiting my cousing Geri
- 2. Riding bike at night, not paying attention.
- 3. I got lost. Didnít know address, last name or anything
- 4. Have to pay attention, or will drift away
- D. These people were neglecting their salvation:
- 1. What does negligent mean?
- a. To Neglect - Omit, overlook, ignore, undervalue, disregard
- b. Negligent - Careless, Thoughtlessness, inconsiderent, indifferent.
- 2. Donít be Negligent, PAY ATTENTION!
III. Danger of Death, Eternally
- A. Rhetorical Question: How shall we escape if we neglect so great a Salvation?
- B. What escape?
- 1. Punishment
- a. Word spoken through Angels proved steadfast
- b. Every Transgression and Disobedience (through Prophets) punished
- c. But Jesus is Now Godís word, not angels and prophets
- -JESUS IS GODíS FINAL EXALTED SUPERIOR WORD!!!
- -Will His word be any less steadfast?
- -Will disobedience to him be have less recompense?
- 2. Punisment described
- a. Gehenna - City Dump
- b. Eternal Darkness
- c. Lake of Fire and Brimstone
- d. Where the worms dieth not and their fire is not quenched
- e. Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth
- f. Smoke of their torment goes up day and night and there is not rest
- g. Be with Satan and his Angels (will satan like you since you went to Hell? You are made in the image of God!!!)
- 3. Only one was to escape - PAY ATTENTION!!!
- C. Once I was Driving from Omaha to Ft. Worth.
- 1. Began to get the stares, zoning on the road
- 2. I should have stopped, but I fell asleep and didnít know it.
- 3. I awoke to spinning, didnít flip car (luckily was sports car)
- 4. Didnít know which way to go afterwards
- 5. Driverís Manual says to get out, take breaks while driving, etc.
- 6. Iíve heard it all before, I quit paying attention
- D. Results can be disasterous if you donít pay attention
- 1. Do you feel yourself falling aspleep at the wheel?
- 2. Itís time to get up out of that pew and come forward
- 3. Itís time to wake up
- 4., PAY ATTENTION!! OR YOU MIGHT DRIVE OFF THE ROAD
1. You must pay closer attention to what you have heard
- -Because of the Danger of Dullness to Christ
- -Because of the Danger of Drifting Away
- -Because of the Danger of Death Eternally
2. You need to PAY CLOSER ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD!!
3. If you are:
- Not Studying the Bible
- Participating in Dirty Jokes at Work
- Not coming to Worship
- Not showing Hospitality to Your Brothers and Sisters
- Working So much overtime you have no time for God or Family
- THEN YOU ARE NEGLECTING YOUR SALVATION!
4. It's time to Wake up and Pay Attention!