Title: The Ministry of Intrusion#1
Purpose: To encourage Christians to reach out to those who are hurting
I. By preaching the Good News
- 1. Many organizations have code words for intruder alerts (we are going to talk about intruders this morning)
- 2. Text: Matthew 9:35-10:8
- 3. Things Jesus does in his ministry:
- 1) Preach Good News of Kingdom
- 2) Healed Physically & Spiritually (included casting out of demons)
- 4. Chapter 10, he gives them authority, what he tells them to do is identical
- 5. Should come as no suprise, told to walk as he walked, Jesus our example
- 6. Jesus expects us to carry out his mission How? Ways
II. By healing the sick, the hurting, and those in bondage
- A. Jesus preached the good news of the Kingdom and sent disciples(9:35; 10:8)
- B. Two things about how and why he preached:
- 1. Jesus went to where the people were and proclaimed it
- a. One occasion Jesus cried out in the middle of a festival (Jn 7:37)
- b. He boldy spoke to anyone who would listen
- c. There were many times a hostile audience
- d. They tried to kill him on more than one occasion
- e. There were also those who followed
- 2. Jesus felt compassion on them
- a. They were distressed and downcast
- b. They were like sheep without a shepherd
- c. Not unlike today (people have no direction)
- d. Some of the most “successful” are also some of the most
- C. Two occasions I can think of where we did something out of ordinary
- 1. Evangelism Campaign, knocked entire town, so went to Billiard Hall to try and reach out there
- 2. Went to city of Earle at the Bar to reach out. (local church rejected us)
- D. You are sitting on the Good News of the Kingdom
- 1. Would Jesus hire you as a reporter?
- 2. How many times have you told the good news to someone last week
- 3. How many times last month?
- 4. Harvest is plentiful bu laborers are few
- A. Jesus healed the sick and cast out demons & then sent disciples (9:35; 10:8)
- B. But we don’t have the power
- 1. Jesus gave the power to the Apostles but no Apostles today
- 2. What do you do with James 5:13ff?
- 3. We may not have miraculous powers, but we can pray in faith
- C. ILL: Luke 7:11-15
- 1. Try to put yourself there at the scene
- 2. Funeral Procession, Jesus and his followers
- 3. SHE WAS A WIDOW
- a. Deceased was the only son
- b. Unless she wealthy, probably have to resort to prostitution
- 4. Jesus speaks to her and tells her not to cry
- 5. He then stops the funeral procession and touches the coffin
- 6. Then he speaks to the deceased: “YOUNG MAN, GET UP”
- 7. He gets up! and Jesus gives him back to His Mother
- D. We need to have the attitude of Jesus if we are going to do any good,
- 1. In Matthew, it says he had compassion on them (depressed, downcast
like sheep without a shepherd)
- 2. In this Story, He has compassion on the woman, and brings back the
- 3. We sure can help to heal people’s emotional, physical and spiritual
sickness if we had compassion on them.
- 4. It can begin like James said in Chapter 5 with Elders and prayer
1. Jesus expects us to be carry out his mission
2. What do we learn about How Jesus did this?
- 1) By preaching the Gospel
- 2) By Healing
3. Some of you intruded during the campaign
- 1) Jesus was willing to step into the lives of people
- 2) Our excuse is "It's none of my business"
- 3) Lost souls were Jesus' business, and he tells us to make it our business!
4. Where are you going to intrude with love and compassion this week?
- a. Some of you came across people who were really hurting
- b. I hope to God you have followed up on those
- c. How did it feel? Did you begin to get a glimpse of the power of the ministry of
- d. You don’t have to wait for a campaign
- a. Whose hurt are you going to heal?
- b. Who are you going to bring the good news of the Kingdom to?