Some sermons are more memorable than others. Others are real sleepers. I can hear the comments from my beloved brethren already. I'm no exception, I've had my share of sermons that were "duds". I believe that a sermon needs to be challenging and sincere in order to affect the lives of others.
Not everyone has the ability to stand in the pulpit and preach. However, whether you realize it or not, you actually preach a sermon on a regular basis. Consider the following passages: "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity" (Col. 4:5); "In all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach . . ."(Titus 2:7-8a); "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in Heaven" (Matt 5:16)
These passages are just a sampling of passages of this sort. They show beyond a doubt that you "preach" daily by how you conduct yourself, how you say things, and whether your life is full of Godly deeds.
So, the question is not, "Am I able to preach?" The question is, "What do I preach?" I heard someone say, "I would rather see a sermon than hear one any day." More people will remember the sermon they see long after the sermon they hear. I don't remember the exact statistic, but I remember reading that less than 10% of what you communicate is through your actual words. The rest of what you communicate is through actions, tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. If your actions do not preach Jesus, then your co-workers, family, and friends will not hear the 10% you are trying to communicate through your words. It will be drowned out by the other 90% you are communicating.
There is the saying: "You should practice what you preach." Actually, what you practice is what you preach. So the question to ask yourself is "What do I preach?" To investigate this question further, ask yourself these questions:
- What do my co-workers, family and friends hear me preach?"
- What sermon am I communicating every day?
- Do I let my light shine in such a way that they see my good
works & glorify God?
- Do I conduct myself with wisdom toward outsiders?
- Am I an example of good deeds and healthy sound speech that
Now you know what preparation you need to make for your next sermon!